Saturday, November 29, 2008

Google Reverts Back to Your Old Title Tag

I've been noticing on a lot of sites I've worked on where I would change a page's title tag and Google has indexed the change, but a few days later it reverts back to the old title tag I had before. When the old title tag reverts back in the SERPs, it also affects the keyword rankings for that specific page. What's happening here is that the search results are hitting different data centers from Google. Google has many data centers servers that holds all the site's indexed pages online. Some data centers get updated more frequently than others. What you're seeing when you see your title tag go back to the old title tag is one of the many data centers that was not updated yet. Don't panic, wait a few days and all the data centers should be updated with your new title tag.
Bookmark this!:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I had this happen to me today and I was pretty curious about why. I made some title tag updates this week. The updates took me to the first page that same day. Then within 24 hrs, my results dropped back down to page three. Now today I saw the old title tag and results dropped more. I'm hoping once the data centers are updated with my new title tag that I'll get back to the first page. It was dissapointing to see my rankings jump to the first page then back to the third. My new title and h1 tag are very much more optimized now for my keyword. My content is more optimized as well so i would think my rankings would increase.